Friday 3 June 2011

Stuffed Karela Fry

I learnt this amazingly tasty dish from Vahchef Sanjay . A big thanks to him, I learnt a lot of dishes from him. Actually this particular dish I had eaten at my cousin's friend's house in Andhra Pradesh when I was a kid. I liked it so much but I never insisted my mother to make it as she did not know and she never had the privilige of using Internet those days. Now that I can cook, I thought why not give it a try. I bet even the people who hate bittergourd/ Karela would love it.

Ingredients   Serves 4

Bittergourd/ Karela (4 small sized)
Bittergourd's seeds (finely chopped)
Mustard 1tsp
Fennel 1/2 tsp
1 big onion (finely chopped)
Asafoetida powder  (a pinch)
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
Chilli powder 1 tsp
Mango powder/ Amchoor 1 tsp
Gram Flour 1 tsp
Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
Ginger garlic paste 1 tbsp
Salt 1 tsp
Oil

Directions - How to make

Peel off the karela's rough skin so that it becomes even on all sides. Cut a slit in between and remove all the seeds from inside. Cut the seeds into small pieces and keep aside.




Now heat oil in a pan. Add mustard. Wait till it splutters and then add fennel seeds, onion. Add a tsp of salt, asafoetida powder and saute the onions till it turns brown. Now add  turmeric powder and then gram flour. Fry till the gram flour releases nice aroma. Then add ginger-garlic paste, chilli powder and the chopped karela seeds. Fry well till it is roasted. Add the mango powder and stir on a low flame. Finally add the coriander leaves and little sugar to it. Mix well and take off. Wait till it cools down.


Finally add the stuffing inside the karelas and tie them with a string so that the stuffing stays intact while frying. Place the karela on the hot pan with enough oil. Cover with a lid. Cook over medium or low flame as it might happen that they are burnt from outside but not really cooked. Keep turning them in between so as to ensure the karela's are cooked evenly. Serve hot along with sambar rice or ghee rice.



Note: One can even sprinkle little salt and sugar while frying the karelas


No comments:

Post a Comment